Core Unit Topic 4: Patterns in resource consumption
Sub - Topic: Patterns of resource consumption
- Evaluate the ecological footprint as a measure of the relationship between population size and resource consumption.
- Identify international variations in its size.
- Discuss the two opposing views (neo-Malthusian and anti-Malthusian) of the relationship between population size and resource consumption.
Sub - Topic: Changing patterns of energy consumption
- Examine the global patterns and trends in the production and consumption of oil.
- Examine the geopolitical and environmental impacts of these changes in patterns and trends.
- Examine the changing importance of other energy sources.
Sub - Topic: Conservation strategies
- Discuss the reduction of resource consumption by conservation, waste reduction, recycling and substitution.
- Evaluate a strategy at a local or national scale aimed at reducing the consumption of one resource.