Optional Theme E: Leisure, Sport and Tourism
- Discuss the difficulties in attempting to define leisure, recreation, tourism and sport.
- Discuss the influence of accessibility, changes in technology and affluence upon the growth of these activities.
Sub-topic: Leisure at the International Scale - tourism
- Explain the long- and short-term trends and patterns in international tourism.
- Examine the changes in location and development of different tourist activities. Explain the growth of more remote tourist destinations.
Sub-topic: Leisure at the international scale - sport
- Examine the social, cultural, economic and political factors affecting participation and success in two major international sports.
- Analyse the geographic factors that influenced the choice of venue(s).
- Examine the factors affecting the sphere of influence for participants and supporters.
- Evaluate the short- and long-term geographic costs and benefits of hosting such an event at both the local and national level.